The aftermath of a fire is quite devastating. Your home is covered with soot, smoke, and water damage. You worry about the claims process, the fire and smoke damage, you wonder if you’ve lost all of the memorabilia you’ve cherished for so long, and you are displaced. Disaster recovery can be a scary, overwhelming time. At PLM Restoration, we consider the needs of our customers, and repair and restore your Houston TX home or business quickly and considerately, because we understand what you are going through. The most important action you, as the homeowner, can take, is to act quickly taking care of Houston fire damage.
Fire Damage Restoration Tips
It is very important to remember that permanent damage can be prevented regarding some things if proper steps are taken, and taken quickly. Here are some fire damage repair tips:
- Safety is the number one priority. Make sure if, as the property owners, you are doing the damage repair yourself wear the proper protective gear—dust masks and gloves.
- Draw the inside air out with a fan in the window ensuring proper ventilation.
- Clean the smoke damage from ceilings first, then the walls, then the fixtures, then the furniture, and finally, the floors.
- Using a high-efficiency filter in your vacuum, remove all the dust and particles as thoroughly as possible.
- Wash any textiles that you can; send the rest to the drycleaner.
- If the residue is too thick, it is probably best to call a professional who takes care of everything—the cleanup and the insurance claims and the restoration.
- Check with a locally owned general contractor concerning the structure of the home to make sure there was no damage.
Things To Avoid After A Fire
- Don’t use anything electrical until it has been deemed safe by a fire inspector or fire restoration professional. Do not turn on televisions, radios, or appliances.
- Do not eat anything that was exposed to heat from the fire.
- Don’t turn on the air conditioner or heater.
- Do not water your indoor plants.
- Don’t sit on any furniture that has any smoke residue on it.
As a leader in the restoration industry, PLM Restoration, our professional fire restoration contractors understand how important time is to fire damage cleanup. Any waiting can make the cost of restoration much more expensive, and can also make the claims process more difficult. The effects of smoke exposure on a home are brutal.
The fire begins doing damage immediately. Within minutes of the fire starting, plastics and appliances begin to discolor—porous materials like marble discolor permanently. After just a few hours, the grout in your home turns to yellow, metals tarnish and many larger appliances begin to change color. As the days move along, walls begin to turn color, corrosion occurs on metals, wood furniture ruins, and chair and couch covers become permanently discolored.
We cannot emphasize enough how important fast fire damage cleanup is. When a fire combusts, the residue is carried by air and deposited all over the home. If the fire occurs in only one room, there is still a great possibility that smoke damage has been done in other areas of the home. Just like with mold restoration, the fire damage restoration process is specific and exact. At PLM we make sure to follow all fire damage restoration standards to prevent any unnecessary loss for you and your family.
After the soot is removed, we then begin work on the odor the fire left behind. At PLM Restoration, we, like most fire restoration contractors, use a four-step process to eliminate the smell:
- We remove any source of the smell, including walls, flooring, and debris.
- We thoroughly clean anything we can save and we use industrial grade deodorizes that do not cover the odor, but remove it from the air and surfaces.
- We counteract any remaining odor with a substance made to fog the area and push away the odor.
- We seal anything we can save that has been the slightest bit scorched. This prevents the smell from escaping and allows you to keep the material.
Fire Restoration Assessment
Our highly trained professionals at PLM Restoration determine the full extent of the fire and smoke damage caused by the fire. We survey the impact of smoke damage, heat damage, and residue. We stay in contact with our customers so they understand what we are doing througout the restoration process. Once we determine the severity of the damage, we go over our restoration plan with you to let you know exactly what we can save. Our job is to reverse as much as the damage as possible, and we do everything we can to protect the furniture, floors, and belongings in the process. We treat your home as if it were our own home.
Fire Damage Restoration Cost
Fire restoration contractors charge anywhere from $800 to $10,000, depending upon the amount of damage caused. Insurance companies tend to lean to the low side of value in order to save themselves money. At PLM Restoration, we deal directly with the insurance company for you to make certain you get fair value for what you have lost. There is no price tag for the pain and suffering, so why should you have to pay out of pocket on top of all the other stress a fire brings? We feel you shouldn’t have to, so we do everything we can to get you what is owed.
Why Choose PLM Restoration For Fire Damage Repair
We are one of the largest home restoration companies in Houston. We have been doing business for over 20 years. We take your needs seriously and fight for you for to get insurance claims. We provide you with fast, thorough, professional, start-to-finish restoration services, with a strong emphasis on customer satisfaction. We understand what you have been through and we know how to make sure your transition is as smooth as possible. At PLM Restoration, we care. If you or someone you know has been affected by fire damage, please call us; we are available to you 24 hours a day. (832) 434-7130